Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Feeling crap

A combination of the cold weather in San Francisco, the lack of "real" food and the air conditioning on the flight home - not to mention the jet lag - has left me with the first head cold I've had since the beginning of the year. Combined with the shock of coming back to work I think it's safe to say that I am not in my best spirits.

I spent a good five or ten minutes having a debate with myself as to whether to do the workout I had programmed (20 minutes easy + 20, 12 and 8 minutes hard) before finally bottling it after about 5 minutes into the hard session. What was odd was that I was running pretty fast for the heart rate I was registering but I was feeling quite bad for it. I spent another five or ten minutes afterwards debating with myself whether I was just being a "pansy" or whether I was actually being sensible and avoiding prolonging this head cold. The times when I have cut short a training session I have tended to feel very angry with myself and quite down about it afterwards; in fact, knowing that this is how I will feel is a big part of my motivation to get the work done in the first place. However, I think I made the right decision and I'm actually quite pleased with myself: I think I am actually beginning to have a more holistic approach to my training at last. The workout today was actually one that I should have done on Sunday, had it not been for the fact that I was flying back that day. Sometimes it is better to skip one workout than to try and make up for lost time by cramming it in. I can't imagine that it will make any (positive) difference to my goal to run a Marathon in under 3 hours in November.

Hopefully I'll feel more able to do the hard session I have down for Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment