Thursday, January 24, 2013

Half Challenge Barcelona 2013

Change of plans...

I'd started to think about the Half Ironman in Lisbon for which I have already paid the entry fee (of €100 as I did it so far in advance) and just the thought of driving 6 hours on my own, racing nearly 5 hours on my own and driving back 6 hours on my own makes me feel quite tired, just thinking of it. I did in fact do exactly this a few years ago but my level of obsession (and therefore drive) was much higher then. In total I've done Lisbon twice before and it is very well organized, a very fast course (if not a bit ugly and smelly) but it isn't really something that I can get excited about.

On the other hand, the Half Challenge in Barcelona this year is also the ETU Half Distance European Championship with the participation of Chris McCormack.


Not only that, but a number of colleague from work are going which will make it more enjoyable and hopefully reduce the stress and inconvenience of the logistical aspects of triathlon which I have come to dread. It will have been almost exactly two years since I last did a triathlon and, in spite of subsequently buying a triathlon specific bike that yet has to be put through its paces, I have enjoyed the relative ease of running Marathons both from a training and a logistical point of view. Another advantage is that I get an extra two weeks to train for it. Also I may be able to convince my family to come with me...

I feel like a weight has been lifted from my mind and now I am actually looking forward to getting back into triathlon!

No comments:

Post a Comment