Friday, January 16, 2015

I've gone and done it now...


Admittedly I have only invested the princely sum of $11 and I could cancel my credit card so that the remaining $347 that NYRR will charge me to take part in the New York City Marathon bounced, but instead I will leave it up to fate to decide. If it is true that those with a qualifying time (such as my Half Marathon last year in 1:20:05) are accepted on a first come, first served basis, then I think it is unlikely that many people got in before me. I was pressing "refresh" every 2 seconds just as the clock showed 6:00 pm (CET) on Thursday and, like magic, the application form appeared. Only those who are not only fast runners but quicker than me at entering their credit card details will have pipped me to the post. Having said that, it is not unheard of for major events like Marathons and Ironmans (Ironmen?) to sell out in a matter of minutes.

If I don't get in then it will just redouble my conviction to run in 2016; if I do, it feels like the decision has been made for me, so I don't feel so guilty about the cost (both economic and time) to the family...

Tune in for the next fascinating episode when I will find out whether I get accepted on the 15th February! Meanwhile I think I can relax a little about signing up for the long distance triathlon in March as only two people have done so so far. Last night I put my tri bike on the turbo trainer and was a bit shocked to see quite how much like hard work cycling seemed after months out of the saddle. All the more reason to get back in again I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment